Friday, April 6, 2012

eARC Review: Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock

Hemlock (Hemlock, #1)Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock



Mackenzie and Amy were best friends. Until Amy was brutally murdered.


Lupine syndrome—also known as the werewolf virus—is on the rise across the country. Many of the infected try to hide their symptoms, but bloodlust is not easy to control. 


Wanting desperately to put an end to her nightmares, Mac decides to investigate Amy’s murder herself. She discovers secrets lurking in the shadows of Hemlock, secrets about Amy’s boyfriend, Jason, her good pal Kyle, and especially her late best friend. Mac is thrown into a maelstrom of violence and betrayal that puts her life at risk. 


Since then, Mac’s life has been turned upside down. She is being haunted by Amy in her dreams, and an extremist group called the Trackers has come to Mac’s hometown of Hemlock to hunt down Amy’s killer: A white werewolf. 


Kathleen Peacock’s thrilling novel is the first in the Hemlock trilogy, a spellbinding urban fantasy series filled with provocative questions about prejudice, trust, lies, and love.


Rating:     


Interpretation: 5/5 - One of my favorite love triangles. Don't miss out on an epic journey of love, heartbreak and friendship :-)



Thoughts: *Siiiiiiiiiiiiiigh* I have once again finished the first book of a series with lots of potential!!!!! We've only spent 1 night and now it's done... I can't believe I've read 3/4 of the book in one sitting!!! If I weren't sleepy and if I didn't have plans the next day, I would have stayed up late and finished the entire book! NOW THAT is an awesome book!! Thanks to this book, I know now how to distinguish a great read from a disappointing one when time is of the essence. I really don't have a 2-month long vacation for this academic year or for any upcoming years in my teenage life because I am soon-to-be a grown up, and part of being a grown-up means a couple of weeks for a "Summer vacation". So you see, I really don't have the time to waste reading the wrong book while the good ones sit untouched. So I have this strategy that if the books weren't working for me with regards to its first few chapters then I'm putting it down & picking up a new read. I might give it a chance some other time but not now when I only have a week left until our mandatory summer classes start!


Going back to this superb book... what can I say? I'm a sucker for love triangles. I am a sucker for 2 guy best friends falling in love with their girl best friend-- because we're not fed with the crap load of BS called "love at first sight". I am a sucker for werewolves. I am a sucker for HEMLOCK!!! I finally found a book wherein I love the two leading men!!!! I am totally confused! If only Mac can have both as her boyfriend! 


Kyle is the stable one, the more organized, responsible and reliable one. Kyle is the safest and best choice!! He is like the best friend who was always there for Mac when it comes to saving and comforting her. He is the guy who was too afraid to confess his feelings that might ruin his relationship with the people he cares most. 


Jason, on the other hand, is the broken one. We gotta admit, the broken ones have a huge spot reserved in our hearts. We've always loved the tortured soul-ed yet brooding and handsome, rich bastard. Just like Mac, we can't help but want to fix them and be the reason why he is doing better. He is reckless, stubborn, spontaneous and just about the most perfect broken guy I've ever drooled over. 


There were unexpected twists but nothing out of the ordinary. All in all it is a great read if you're looking for a good love story :P I can't wait for the next book to come out!!! I don't know how much time I have to wait for it to come out :-< This book hasn't even been published yet. Kyle had his chance and in the 2nd book, it's Jason turn!! With Jason and Mac on the journey in finding Kyle, I'm sure there will be lotsa cheezy moments planned for Jason and Mac :-p

No comments:

Post a Comment