Monday, April 2, 2012

Second Chance Read #1: Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Before anything else, what is this "Second Chance Read"? Second Chance Read is a segment in my blog wherein I get to pick a book (may or may not be recently published) which everybody claims to be great but which I failed to see long before it became a hype. Sometimes when I get bombarded with too much YA or when I just finished an awesome book, the book that I pick up after it suffers because I'm nowhere near getting over the former (even if I wanted to). These are the books which I didn't finish because I was looking for a certain pull that will make me engaged to it but wasn't able to find it in its first few chapters. So I'm ready to look at these books the other way, and read it without judgment as if reading it the first time. :-)

US edition Cover:

Delirium (Delirium, #1)  Delirium (Delirium, #1)

Much better cover (Hungarian Edition):

Delírium (Delírium, #1)

Synopsis (from Goodreads):

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy. 


But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

Rating:     


Interpretation: MINDBLOWINGLY AWESOME!!!! Took my freaking breath away!



THOUGHTS: 


Why would anyone declare love as a disease!? I mean yeah sure some may consider it as such (figuratively) and sometimes I think I agree, but why would we want to cure it? Love makes the world go 'round (as sung one time in a Powerpuff Girls episode), it gives life and meaning to our existence. I cant imagine living in a world without love. 


I mean, seriously, the theme is sick in a good way!!! You might think that it's shallow, or even childish but once Lauren Oliver started to describe the behavior of the "cureds" you're going to see the depth of the plot! The cureds remind me a lot of the movie "The Invasion" starring Nicole Kidman wherein the humans were robbed off of their emotions. And it did creep the hell out of me. Imagine being with people who can't feel and who have empty eyes void of any emotion. It's like living with Zombies who look well and alive on the outside but dead on the inside. On the other hand, it's amazing how I realized, while reading this book, that LOVE is the root of all the things we feel-- envy, anger, pain, jealousy, desire etc. 


The book started a bit slow.. but you have to have patience in order to make it to the good part because once you do, it's endless. Everything from that point will keep you engaged with the plot!


About the characters... I definitely loved Hana! I didn't expect her to be the fearless, free spirited and inspiring one. How I wish for her to have escaped Portland too and lived in the Wilds. Also I did not expect Lena to be the uptight one (I mean c'mon, LIVE A LITTLE!). I was annoyed at Lena on the first part of the book but then I understood her-- on how she was just confused. And as the story went I came to love Lena as her character grew and started to accept love. I definitely loved Lena's memories of her mom about what  they used to do. And let's not forget ALEX! *sighs deeply* Alex the good looking Invalid. Alex the gentleman. Alex the savior. Alex the martyr. I see Alex as Lena's source of strength. I just can't accept the ending!! It was too much of a heartbreak!! His love for Lena was just..... beautiful in the saddest way possible :-(


My problem with the book was, why not give them the cure at an age before they are most likely to fall in love to avoid more problems? Let's say about 11 or 12 years old. Why wait until they are 18? It's not like they are given an option to choose whether to proceed with the surgery or not. It's mandatory whether they like it or not they have to go through it. So, whyyy!? And also the chase towards the end of the book seems a bit.. unrealistic. Why did it feel like the whole army of the government was chasing Lena and Alex when Lena was just an insignificant nobody?? Don't they have anything better to do but chase a bunch of teenagers running away from their homes? Don't they have bigger problems to handle? It sort of doesn't make sense. 


Although all in all the story was great! I was about to give this book a 4, but after that ending!? I just knew that 4 won't suffice. It deserves a 5 :-) I'm still thinking whether to read  Pandemonium (Delirium #2) right away or postpone it for another book because I've heard it's going to end with another cliffhanger. And with the 3rd installment nowhere near it's publication date? I don't think I'll be able to handle another cliffhanger without going craaaazzzzyyyy!




MY TOP 10 MEMORABLE SCENES AND QUOTABLE


 QUOTES: 


1.“I liked it,” he says. “You looked . . .” He trails off for a moment. His face contracts slightly, a tiny shift I can barely make out in the dark, but in that second he looks so still and sad it almost takes my breath away, like he’s a statue, or a different person. I’m afraid he won’t finish his sentence, but then he says,


“You looked happy.”


For a second we just stand there in silence. Then, suddenly, Alex is back, easy and smiling again. “I left a note for you one time. In the Governor’s fist, you know?”  It’s impossible, too crazy to think about, and I hear myself repeating, “You left a note for me?”


“I’m pretty sure it said something stupid. Just hi, and a smiley face, and my name. But then you stopped coming.” He shrugs. “It’s probably still there. The note, I mean. Probably just a bit of paper pulp by now.” He left me a note. For me. The idea—the fact of it, the fact that he even noticed and thought about me for more than one second—is huge and overwhelming, makes my legs go tingly and my hands feel numb.


-Just made me smile and grin goofily like a little kid opening a goody bag full of candies! he's confusing lena and im loving it!! :))


2. Just as I’m about to crack open the bedroom door I hear a small noise behind me, like the mewing of a cat. I whip around. Grace is sitting up in bed, watching me.


For a second we just stare at each other. If Grace makes a noise, or gets out of bed, or does anything, she’s bound to wake Jenny, and then I’m done, finished, kaput. I’m trying to think of what I can say to reassure her, trying to fabricate a lie, but then, miracle of miracles, she just lies back down in bed and closes her eyes. And even though it’s very dark, I would swear that there’s the smallest smile on her face.


3. Then I’m being jerked to the side, and I hear a crack and a yelp, the regulator saying, “Shit.” The fire in my leg stops and the weight of the dog falls off, and there’s an arm around my waist and a voice in my ear—a voice so familiar in that moment it’s like I’ve been waiting for it all along, like I’ve been hearing it forever in my dreams—breathing out: “This way.” -swooning over alexxx :x


4. “I don’t know any other way.” I can’t feel my mouth open, don’t feel the words come, but there they are, floating on the dark. He says, “Let me show you.” ---and then BAM! they were kissing and im smiling like a lovesick weirdo :">


5. As I lie there with the hurt driving through my chest and the sick, anxious feeling churning through me and the desire for Alex so strong inside of me it’s like a razor blade edging its way through my organs, shredding me, all I can think is: It will kill me, it will kill me, it will kill me. And I don’t care.


6. It’s us against them, three against countless thousands. But for some reason, and even though it’s absurd, at that moment I feel pretty damn good about our odds.


7. “That’s when you really lose people, you know. When the pain passes.”
     "Somehow, the pain only makes it better, more intense, more worth it."


8. “I love it.” The word pops out, and instantly the weight on my chest dissipates. “I love it,” I say again, testing it. An easy word to say, once you say it. Short. To the point. Rolls off the tongue. It’s amazing I’ve never said it before.


9. “No.” I bury my face in his chest, wrap my arms around him and squeeze. Unimaginable, incomprehensible: a life lived without him. The idea breaks me—the fact that he’s almost crying breaks me—the fact that he did this for me, the fact that he believes I’m worth it—kills me. He is my world and my world is him and without him there is no world. “I won’t do it. I won’t go through with it. I can’t. I want to be with you. I need to be with you.”


10. Just a few more feet and I’ll be sucked into the Wilds; I’ll be beyond its impenetrable shield of interlocking trees and growth and shade. I wait for Alex to hit next.

But he doesn’t. 


-just kill me now :( I mean seriously feel free to take my life away as this book leaves me with a cliffhanger!!!

How 'bout you, what's your Second Chance Read? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment